Peterborough Public Health Unit (PPH) frequently updates their website and red  “control” restrictions are listed on the COVID-19 Current Status webpage. Report Covid-19 non-compliance to OPP at 1-888-310-1122. Report after hours By-Law complaint to 705-738-3800, ext. 311.
Twitter Facebook
| Font Size
blue-contrast black-contrast


Fire and Rescue Intro

In case of emergency, dial 9-1-1

In an EMERGENCY ONLY, call 911 and ensure that all visitors and guests at your property know the 911 address, including the fire route number if you’re located on a private road.

Burn Permits Required

A Municipal Burn Permit is required for all open air burning. Permits are free of charge and must be renewed annually. In signing the Burn Permit you are agreeing to comply with all rules contained on the permit. For more information, see the Burn Permit Rules and Regulations

Permits will be only be available online, by phone 705-738-3800 ext 230 and in person at the Nogies Creek Fire Hall (760 Peterborough County Rd 36) during office hours 8:30 A.M. – 4:30 P.M. To minimize personal contact COVID_19 safety measures have been put in place.

Outdoor Burning

The Municipality uses the Ontario Fire Code Regulation for “Open Air Burning” (Article and the Ministry of Natural Resources Forest Fire Prevention Act to control a potentially dangerous fire condition.

Burn material MUST be a single pile less than 0.61 metres by 0.61 metres by ).61 metres (or 2 feet x 2 feet x 2 feet) in size.

The fire MUST be at least 7.62 metres (25 feet) from any flammable materials and 7.62 metres (25 feet) from any property boundary line.

There are no open air fires permitted between 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. from April 1 to October 31 of any given year.

A responsible adult MUST supervise and have adequate firefighting tools (rakes, shovels, etc.) and water supply on hand to contain the fire.

These restrictions can be superseded by wind conditions and/or any FIRE BAN ORDER issued by the Ministry of Natural Resources or the Municipality of Trent Lakes Fire Department.

Fire Bans

When the Municipality and/or the Ministry of Natural Resources puts a fire ban in place, we immediately place a notice on the Burn Permit Telephone Line, this number is located on your burn permit. Fire Index signs have been erected at all four (4) Fire Halls, as well as the Municipal Office. We also inform the public through the local news media (radio, newspapers, TV). Always call the Burn Hotline before you do any burning 705-738-3800 ext 301 or 1-800-374-4009 ext 301.

Green flashing lights = move to the right

A vehicle with a green flashing light is a Volunteer Firefighter responding to an emergency call. Please safely move over to the right of the road to let them pass – you could be saving a life.

A Message from the Director of Emergency Services, Steve Brockbank

It gives me great pleasure to reassure the residents of Trent Lakes that when it comes to emergency situations your fire department is there for you. Trent Lakes Fire responds to fires, extrication, medical emergencies and rescue calls. We have four stations that are spaced throughout the community to serve you. Our equipment consists of:

• 4 rescue units
• 4 pumpers
• 4 pumper tankers
• 3 ATVs and rescue stretchers
• 3 boats
• Seasonal rescue equipment

Your fire department currently has 50 firefighters who are on call 24/7 to serve our community.

Ever considered becoming a volunteer firefighter?

Each individual firefighter brings a different skill to the table, which is why we have such a dynamic organization. Some of the different trades our firefighters work at are: Business owners, carpenters, truck drivers, paramedics, school teachers and mechanics, to name a few. Being a volunteer firefighter offers many rewards including the unbelievable feeling of helping someone else out in your community in their time of need. If you’re interested in joining our team, please check out our Volunteer Firefighter Application page or contact Fire Chief Steve Brockbank.